Chromebook in School Environment

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

milon

Chromebook in School Environment

Post by milon »

Hi all,

I've been asked to put together a list of suggested laptops for a school-like nonprofit. The laptops need to be under $400, securable, have wifi, and be able to print. I'm currently looking into Chromebooks as these seem to be very viable options, but I have no experience and very little knowledge of them. If anyone can help answer my questions, or point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful!

Ideally, we'd want one Admin account to do all the managing and one User account for the kids. The User account shouldn't be able to change system settings or (un)install apps, but should have access to the apps that the Admin account sets up. The laptops need to be able to do word processing and web surfing. We'll also need web content filtering, which could be managed by the laptop (ie. Blocksi) or the router (lots of homework for me!).

Questions:
1. Are there different levels of 'user' on Chromebook? (ie. Root, Admin, User)
2. How well does Chromebook play with wired/wireless network connectivity?
3. How well does Chromebook play with network wired/wireless printers?

If a Chromebook seems like a good option, I'll price out a couple recommendations. Otherwise I'll look for a Win7 (or maybe Win8 with touchscreen) solution. I'll be administering the laptops, and I have very little experience with Mac.

erkinalp

Re: Chromebook in School Environment

Post by erkinalp »

There is

Code: Select all

root
in Chromebooks, but it is normally impossible to get root access normally, much like Android. And you have to have experience on MAC(mandatory access control) rather than a Mac to administer these network-enabled systems.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2

milon

Post by milon »

Sorry, I guess that was confusing. I don't think we'll need root access - just asking what's available. I've got a rooted Android and I have a little Linux experience. I understand that Windows Vista and higher implements MIC (Mandatory Integrity Control), which is like a weaker cousin to MAC I think. I have no doubt I can learn enough to administer the system (it's only going to be 3-4 devices), I'm just asking if an Admin account can be setup and control the other accounts.

Jessey

Post by Jessey »

Chromebooks might be good if your school wants a lab to do casual work, how ever you woun't have your windows applications unless they are chrome based. If you need office then you could just use goodle docs (there are others of chorse i JUST don't know of them), how ever this needs them to be loged in to google, while it does make you louse some control, it does give the students more resousability. Also all chromebooks are based on ghentoo, a highly customizable linux distro where everything is compiled though source. I don't know why you are asking this on a Reactos forum and not a linux, unix, or chromebook forum where they might have people who have been in said cercainstaces. Most printers now days should just work, how ever you will need to google how to do that on a chromebook. Just know what your are getting into.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

You still can install another OS on it. It's no simple task, but it is doable ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes

Jessey

Post by Jessey »

yah, but how many os's will run on a chromebook other then linux, and then you still got to deal with the chromebooks funky hardware. I don't even think haiku will fully run on a chromebook. :D