modify exe setup

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Dave3434

modify exe setup

Post by Dave3434 »

i remember there was a exe tool to hack into it's setup files like firefox 28 it requires windows xp s2 to install there is or was a way to modify it's windows system requirements, like to windows 2000 sp4.

Z98
Release Engineer

Re: modify exe setup

Post by Z98 »

Except the requirement is there for a reason. They're probably using functions that don't exist on Windows 2000 so if you try to run the binary, the program will just crash.

mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

Dave3434 wrote:i remember there was a exe tool to hack into it's setup files like firefox 28 it requires windows xp s2 to install there is or was a way to modify it's windows system requirements, like to windows 2000 sp4.
I think that's compiler related, where a given version of Visual Studio officially supports only so old versions of Windows, and thus marks its binaries as not running on anything older. However, if you know you didn't make use of any newer Windows functionality (actually, Metapad was an example of using such a hack for running on Windows 98 while building with Visual Studio 2006, IIRC, because it didn't really call newer functions; as of my fork, I did modernize it to follow recommended approaches, even if that makes Win 98 support uncertain; in any case, anyone still using it should use KernelEX) you could hack it. As Z98 pointed out, if Mozilla says you need Windows XP, it probably means they do use newer functionality and such a hack wouldn't work.

Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

i have seen some youtubers run firefox 13 + on windows 2000 even google chrome. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j7QZYOJUNw

mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

Dave3434 wrote:i have seen some youtubers run firefox 13 + on windows 2000 even google chrome. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j7QZYOJUNw
If you think it would work, try it, there's nothing bad with giving it a shot. But keep in mind that it is possible that it doesn't work, because of what I explained. Even if it works, it could work unreliably if anything changed in the specs of a given API (they rely in the post-XP behavior). Firefox 13 was a long time ago, IIRC, new functinoality might be used in newer versions.

gamax92

Post by gamax92 »

In that video, they aren't just using Windows 2000, they are also using Windows 2000 with the Unofficial Update Rollup's
Those rollup's allows Windows 2000 to run more programs it couldn't before.

If you think about that, then its pretty much a guarantee that the newer firefox won't work on an unmodified Windows 2000