Why not get some supporters from Linux?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

erkinalp

Re: Why not get some supporters from Linux?

Post by erkinalp »

Z98 wrote:Oh, we're not "free software" compliant, not by a long shot. For example, we link proprietary apps in the download utility.
We are not fully FSF-compliant, however, we have free software codebase(which satistifies four basic freedoms of software by license(see GPLv2 and others used in our code) and in the way of proceeding), which in turn can be used to make a fully FSF-compliant distribution. (see Ubuntu-trisquel case)
Last edited by erkinalp on Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

mrugiero wrote: I answer this just because I'd like people to answer my uncertainties: there are some standard APIs, but as it is open source (and there is no intent to keep compatibility with someone in particular as happens with ReactOS), nobody actually enforces these standards to be followed.
I understand. It makes compatibility a problem, but at least it is open source and if someone wants to alter the OS or the apps and are of the mind to do so, then they can. With Win32, everyone tends to expect a more polished result and consistent compatibility. Nobody there cares to fiddle with code modifications, tarballs, dependencies, etc.
Personally, I don't think they're really "few". It is true that most of them would prefer people who is currently working with ReactOS to be working with Linux or any user space that is usable with Linux, but I don't think most of them are against it per se.
I meant "not mind" to be a stronger statement than would be normally taken, so the "few' would refer to those actually supporting it. I sometimes use a softer or even a coy style, and it sometimes leads to confusion. Sorry about that.
I don't know, I see ReactOS filling the desktop niche better than any current consumer trend, and I say this partly as a compliment. For consumers, Android does mostly good (there are some things to fix, though), but ReactOS (well, ROS right now doesn't, but the OS it tries to mimick does) performs better in a niche far more complex as the desktop, which is, and IMO will still be, where content gets created.

PD: Still, it could be more conservative in the amount of resources it takes compared to other alternatives, and that would be good.
Actually, I think we are saying similar here. By a lighter solution, I meant like ROS, for instance, or maybe Puppy Linux or other compact Linux distro. Otherwise, they will just go to tablets. As the PCs are getting somewhat neutered (single board PCs, APU solutions, no more than 3-4 cores at most for the "mainstream" market, "Green" trends, and smaller PSU's back towards the older days in terms of wattage), and as Windows is getting more complex and cumbersome, users might prefer a less-demanding OS. If Microsoft won't give it to them, they they either will switch to tablets or limited purpose machines like Kindles/Nooks, maybe use an ARM platform, use a Chrometop, or rely on us or a compact Linux variety. So we might be an important player in keeping the current software developers designing Win32/64 stuff, since Microsoft may have to either extensively retool their OS or abandon it, and either way, it won't be good for Win32 programmers. But if we become mature and usable enough, we can take up the slack. We are free in several ways. There is free beer of course, and freedom in terms of the ingredients in the beer (hey if I have the recipe, I could brew my own variation with a different amount of hops added or throw in something "alien" in flavor). There is also freedom in terms of being able to migrate it to any machine, and not having activation hassles and trouble. I had to call into Microsoft recently after adding more RAM and flashing the BIOS. That required typing at least 128 digits (64 from the machine to the phone, and 64 new ones from the phone to the PC). And trying to migrate XP to a new hard drive is tricky. You have to use special software for that. A partition manager alone won't cut it.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

here is also freedom in terms of being able to migrate it to any machine, and not having activation hassles and trouble. I had to call into Microsoft recently after adding more RAM and flashing the BIOS. That required typing at least 128 digits (64 from the machine to the phone, and 64 new ones from the phone to the PC). And trying to migrate XP to a new hard drive is tricky. You have to use special software for that. A partition manager alone won't cut it.
ReactOS already has that freedom, however, you need to migrate carefully in order not to break system partition detection.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
mametoc

Post by mametoc »

classicgamelover85 wrote:I guess the whole point in making this post or thread is simple. WHEN THE HELL IS REACTOS GOING TO GET DONE?????? I'm drunk again too just so you know. But anywho. I wish I could find more supporters out there, but I only know so many people. This sucks. This OS won't be done for ages will it? I'll be an old wrinkly old man when it gets done... won't be able to spend any of my youth on enjoying such an awesome idea!!! THIS BITES!!! THIS OS WILL NEVER GET DONE!!! AAAAAAHHHHH!!!!! i'm freaking out. but I think I'm about to pass out too.
If everyone of us who write in this forum had OS skills developer... sure ReactOS will be reached the goal. So meanwhile drunking don't give us some "magical" skill OS dev i suggest stop it and search another ways, (preferable non-magical based.)
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

erkinalp wrote: ReactOS already has that freedom, however, you need to migrate carefully in order not to break system partition detection.
The first clause of that is what I said. But it is good when other reiterate things and let you know you are on the same page with them.
mametoc wrote: If everyone of us who write in this forum had OS skills developer... sure ReactOS will be reached the goal. So meanwhile drunking don't give us some "magical" skill OS dev i suggest stop it and search another ways, (preferable non-magical based.)
Drunking? No, drinking doesn't give any magical skills. It just lowers inhibitions and standards. Certainly don't use hallucinogens. I could see it now if someone said:

"I was coding last night and dropped some acid and I don't know how I did it, but I wrote this cool 3D game with dragons and demons coming through the PC, and the PC melts and runs across the room, and when I looked in the mirror while chasing the PC, I saw I had no face. But now I can't seem to find the game."

So that is why it is best to stay clean and sober while coding. The above would be a trip and not a game, and there would be no code involved.
fred02

Post by fred02 »

PurpleGurl wrote:it is best to stay clean and sober while coding.
Unless you are a very talented hacker (see questions 0011 (and 0012)). :lol: