linux virus

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Dave3434

linux virus

Post by Dave3434 »

guys you may want to watch this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwz4-iavwPY we all knew this day would come not that windows xp is losing support linux is becoming the next best thing.

mrugiero

Re: linux virus

Post by mrugiero »

I don't really see how viruses targetting Linux means it's becoming the next big thing. For a start, if it runs on all iterations of Linux (I'm not sure because I didn't want to watch the whole video; I prefer to actually read the text), it runs on Android, which is all the motivation you need to program a virus for it. Also, I don't think viruses for Linux are a new thing. Lots of servers run Linux, so you don't need to be a genius to know it's a good target for creating bots for any purpose, SPECIALLY for distributing SPAM. What better to distribute any kind of mail than the actual server doing the work. Maybe it is one of the first viruses to reach masses using the desktop (and actually it isn't, I don't really recall the name, but there was a trojan distributed as a deb package containing a theme for gnome, it was in gnome-look.org for a time, back in 2009 IIRC), but still, having viruses targetting it doesn't mean it's the next big thing. It could mean as few as someone was extremely bored and did it and as much as Linux just becoming noticeable in the desktop. Noticeable and "the big thing" are not quite the same thing.
I'm really saying this as a Linux user and lover. Some Linux users have been claiming Linux would become the next big thing since the beginning of time. The only really big thing Linux will power for consumers are Android and SteamOS. Normal, desktop distributions will remain at the same comfortable 1-5% of market share they have had for years. Not saying that Windows is intrinsically better (because I really don't think that it is, but rather that both have their niches and type of user), but most people are comfortable with Windows. The next big thing, IMO, will be Win 7 in the short to mid-term.

tomleem

Post by tomleem »

IMO, when an operating systems becomes more popular, it becomes a bigger target for vyrus writers and scams / cons. With Linux and Android becoming very popular, it makes it more worthwhile for vyrus writers to target them. :ugeek:

I like to use eComStation http://www.ecomstation.com Since it is not used by as many people as Linux or Windows, it is not seen as a worthwhile target for vyruses. It does not mean there aren't any for it but it is not as much a target as other more popular operating systems. :geek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy

mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

tomleem wrote:IMO, when an operating systems becomes more popular, it becomes a bigger target for vyrus writers and scams / cons. With Linux and Android becoming very popular, it makes it more worthwhile for vyrus writers to target them. :ugeek:

I like to use eComStation http://www.ecomstation.com Since it is not used by as many people as Linux or Windows, it is not seen as a worthwhile target for vyruses. It does not mean there aren't any for it but it is not as much a target as other more popular operating systems. :geek:
I agree with you. But being more popular is implicit in being noticeable, and it is still far from meaning "the next big thing". When I hear about the latter, I think about something the big majority of people use, and for Linux (on the consumer space, in servers is quite big) that's only valid if you include Android, which most people don't mean to include when talking about "Linux". If you include Android when talking about Linux, then it is actually the current big thing, based on market share. For the desktop I don't think Linux will grow more than 5%, 10% being ultra optimist, except in the case that actually Microsoft decides their desktop branch is not worth the trouble (very unlikely).

tomleem

Post by tomleem »

mrugiero wrote:
tomleem wrote:....... For the desktop I don't think Linux will grow more than 5%, 10% being ultra optimist, except in the case that actually Microsoft decides their desktop branch is not worth the trouble (very unlikely).
In a way, when Microsoft came out with Win 8, they decided the desktop is not really worth the trouble. :lol:
Fortunately for Microsoft, I hear that Win 9 would be more like Win 7 but I could be wrong. :ugeek:

Being a small mouse in a field of bigger prey means that predators would more likely go after the bigger prey and not really think the mouse is worth the effort. :D
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy

mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

tomleem wrote:
mrugiero wrote:....... For the desktop I don't think Linux will grow more than 5%, 10% being ultra optimist, except in the case that actually Microsoft decides their desktop branch is not worth the trouble (very unlikely).
In a way, when Microsoft came out with Win 8, they decided the desktop is not really worth the trouble. :lol:
Fortunately for Microsoft, I hear that Win 9 would be more like Win 7 but I could be wrong. :ugeek:

Being a small mouse in a field of bigger prey means that predators would more likely go after the bigger prey and not really think the mouse is worth the effort. :D
Actually, they didn't. They felt having two separate codebases wasn't worth the trouble, and that having users use only Modern apps eventually is a better business model for them. The fact they are regressing (but still trying to do so within a less diverging code base) because of how annoyed desktop users were by this means they do care about their sales on desktop. I'm not sure what you mean with the mice metaphor. Is desktop not worthy? Or mobile? I would disagree with both. Mobile is a growing market, and it is also already bigger than desktop AFAIK, while I think there are several niches that will never be fitted by mobile (most content production). One, you can get huge amounts of sales, the other you can squeeze real money per sale, as people can make money with it, too.

tomleem

Post by tomleem »

mrugiero wrote:
tomleem wrote:
mrugiero wrote:....... For the desktop I don't think Linux will grow more than 5%, 10% being ultra optimist, except in the case that actually Microsoft decides their desktop branch is not worth the trouble (very unlikely).

Actually, they didn't. They felt having two separate codebases wasn't worth the trouble, and that having users use only Modern apps eventually is a better business model for them. The fact they are regressing (but still trying to do so within a less diverging code base) because of how annoyed desktop users were by this means they do care about their sales on desktop. I'm not sure what you mean with the mice metaphor. Is desktop not worthy? Or mobile? I would disagree with both. Mobile is a growing market, and it is also already bigger than desktop AFAIK, while I think there are several niches that will never be fitted by mobile (most content production). One, you can get huge amounts of sales, the other you can squeeze real money per sale, as people can make money with it, too.
The mouse metaphor was about computer vyruses. Why would predators go after the mouse when there is bigger prey to go after? Why have a snack when one can have a full meal? :lol: It was more for on how more likely vyrus writers would go after something with a bigger return than one with less return for ones efforts. :ugeek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy

mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

tomleem wrote: The mouse metaphor was about computer vyruses. Why would predators go after the mouse when there is bigger prey to go after? Why have a snack when one can have a full meal? :lol: It was more for on how more likely vyrus writers would go after something with a bigger return than one with less return for ones efforts. :ugeek:
What I do not understand is which one would be the mouse in your metaphor. Linux is the mice? Anywho, I do know some programmers would like to infect Linux just to debunk the myth that it is somehow immune (you wouldn't believe how many people believes that). Just to brag about it. It's not always only about the money you could get out of it, but about the prestige.

tomleem

Post by tomleem »

mrugiero wrote:
tomleem wrote: The mouse metaphor was about computer vyruses. Why would predators go after the mouse when there is bigger prey to go after? Why have a snack when one can have a full meal? :lol: It was more for on how more likely vyrus writers would go after something with a bigger return than one with less return for ones efforts. :ugeek:
What I do not understand is which one would be the mouse in your metaphor. Linux is the mice? Anywho, I do know some programmers would like to infect Linux just to debunk the myth that it is somehow immune (you wouldn't believe how many people believes that). Just to brag about it. It's not always only about the money you could get out of it, but about the prestige.
In my metaphor, the mouse represents eComStation. http://www.ecomstation.com
It is an updated version of IBM's OS/2 Warp. There are not a lot of users of this operating system. I have used it when it was OS/2 Warp and when it became eComStation. :ugeek: http://www.os2world.com.
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy