Windows 8 advertisements - all hypnotic scrolling

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

SomeGuy

Windows 8 advertisements - all hypnotic scrolling

Post by SomeGuy »

This will be of interest to many of the ReactOS community: Microsoft has released their first new advertisements for Windows 8.

There have been many questions about exactly how Microsoft is going to sell this... drastic change. My hope is that brining this up sparks some intelligent critical discussion on the matter.

Of note:
- The advertisements consist mostly of hypnotic scrolling, similar to many recent cell phone advertisements. ALL HAIL HYPNOBILL!
- mostly show Windows 8 running on a tablet
- show various "apps" (services).
- more scrolling
- touch screens (which as we know only work well on phones/tablets)
- does not show Windows 8 doing any "real" work, like you might find in an office.
- moar scrolllololololing! (not very intelligent to say it like that, but that is what it is)

At the moment they are popping up all over Youtube, here is one place that that has them at the moment:
(DANGER: Take some strong anti-hypnotic medication first!)
http://www.youtube.com/user/WindowsHub/ ... rid&view=0

MadWolf

Re: Windows 8 advertisements - all hypnotic scrolling

Post by MadWolf »

hi
i wonder how many windows users are going see the add and like windows 8 until they get it home and install it and find it to be the most annoying windows version and then format and go back to the os they were using before they install windows 8

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

There was also a "coming soon" advertisement posted on the official Microsoft youtube channel. More of the same.

It is interesting, on some copies of the video with more views (not the ones I linked to) there are obvious Microsoft shills posting fake positive comments. I'm sure there are some people who honestly do like Windows 8 but shill posts don't include real reasons and are unrealistically positive.

We need some ReactOS shills! :D

Here is a breakdown of the points they raise in the ads:
- turn your picture in to a password
Whoopity freaking do. Similar things have been tried before. Mac OS 9 tried using an audio voiceprint passphrase as a password. It is gimmicky but not useful.

- make your start screen your own
- rearrange your apps and favorites
Probably the only nice thing about the Windows 8 Metro desktop. It is easy to customize and move tiles around. But this can be a nightmare if you are trying to help people as things aren't always in the same place. And getting to "All apps" could be infinitely easier.

- stay up to date with live tiles
Reminds me of how Windows 1.01 application icons often acted as a small window. In Windows 8 they have gone overkill 9000 with all the animations. You are going to stay up to date with the latest seizure medications!

- zoom the stuff you want (zoom in and out of metro start screen, full screen apps)
Full screen applications, just like back in the DOS days. Such progress!

- "snap" two apps side by side
Exactly like in Windows 1.01!!!!!!

- switch between apps easily ("Easily" meaning that touch swipe thingy)
Looks just like Alt+tab but for a touch screen. And it still has the same limitation of not being a visible, discoverable way to do things. The Windows 95 task bar was much better than this. Unusable on a desktop monitor.

- search across your apps, files and settings
So "Apps" have some way to plug in to the search function now. Fine I guess, but we will have to see how useful that really is.

- touch or mouse and keyboard
It is fine and dandy to have touch support, but this not very useful on normal desktops and laptops. (insert greasy finger print smear here). It remains to be seen if Windows 8 will even become popular on tablets, or if it will wind up forgotten like the Zune.

- use familiar desktop
Not quite that familiar without the start menu, and some apps that throw you back to full-screen DOS, I mean Metro, applications.

- share directly with your apps
Only if you are using Microsoft's "Apps"

- take your photos and files with you.
They mean with Microsoft's online skydrive service!

- take your settings and files with your (same desktop across tablet/laptop/desktop)
Basically just roaming profiles, the same as in Windows NT.

- Fast browsing with Internet Explorer 10.
Don't know how they figure "fast". Most browsers are about the same speed these days.

- find the apps you want in the windows store
And pay money to Bill!!!

So, based on MS's promotion of features that have literally been around since 1983, what can ReactOS lie about as being "new"?

Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

I hate Metro, but that video is not very fair: 1) it very well may not be recorded on RTM build 2) it cannot possibly have applied the huge update released around 9th October that has fixed some more after-RTM issues.

Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

I recorded it while running RTM for a few days. I haven't tested the update though, but this video was recorded before it's release. After about a month I gave up and returned to Windows 7.

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

I agree that Win7 is still better even after the extensive changes I tried to apply to make Win8 a better desktop experience. I got to a point, though, that I'd rather have some new functionalities (taskmanager and the possibility to have all the filetransfers in one window and pauseable) backported to Win7 than to save a few % of RAM and tinker all day to change Win8 to Win7 as close as possible.