do you think windows 8 will be what

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

will windows 8 bring reactos mainstream

yes
58%
no
42%

Total votes: 12

zed260

do you think windows 8 will be what

Post by zed260 »

sparks reactos devlopment and makes it go mainstream

many people think windows 8 is a big mess from ui perspective for desktops what impact will it have on reactos
SomeGuy

Re: do you think windows 8 will be what

Post by SomeGuy »

Here's a thought: sell the ReactOS Explorer as a replacement shell for Windows 8. Even in its current state people will be beating down your doors to get it for their new computers. ;)
zed260

Post by zed260 »

SomeGuy wrote:Here's a thought: sell the ReactOS Explorer as a replacement shell for Windows 8. Even in its current state people will be beating down your doors to get it for their new computers. ;)
well currently ive found a usefull app on that front called http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

which im suprised isnt being used in reactos but thats another issue
steveh

reactos explorer on windows? tutorial? wiki?

Post by steveh »

Classicshell bring back perfectly the startbutton and startmenu to win8.
I have installed it too in the release preview.

Reactos shell:
Is it possible to test the reactos explorer, or the reactos "explorer-new" in it's current state as a shell replacement for windows?
Which windows versions does it work on?
How install it? Which reactos modules must be installed where on windows? How activate it in the registry?
I suppose "explorer.exe" is not enough? Many reactos dll's must also be copied into windows?
Does a tutorial exist?

I would be quite curious to test reactos shell on windows, because some functions are implemented by now in the reactos shell, which do not work correctly on reactos itself yet due to missing functionality in the OS level:
the user logon and user management functions, the access rights settings in the explorer?...
jeffw

Post by jeffw »

I swear, the only way to get ReactOS mainstream through Windows 8 is the improvement and development of a better GUI.
Jeff
Programmer
andreas84

Post by andreas84 »

I swear, the only way to get ReactOS mainstream through Windows 8 is making it running on real hardware
BrentNewland

Post by BrentNewland »

Only if they actually take advantage of Microsoft's train wreck.

Heck, they could approach Valve (publicly denounced Windows 8), one of the big OEM's (HP, Toshiba, Dell, Acer, all will lose sales because of this), or any large corporation that has a ton of machines running windows (and doesn't mind waiting a few years for something to be made when that's their deployment timeline anyways) and get donations.
andreas84

Post by andreas84 »

Is there a fundraising team who would feel reasponsible for this?
milon

Post by milon »

I think that would be the fabled PR Team...
andreas84

Post by andreas84 »

To do so there would need to be atleast one person who knows how to deal with bigger companys then the pr team can provide the infrastructure for this i think.
Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

i think windows 8 will be a massive failer for desktops i talked to alot of people and they say the same thing. there not going to buy it when it's released.