ReactOS & ezQuake, join your github-forces?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

mod

ReactOS & ezQuake, join your github-forces?

Post by mod »

Hi there,

What I would very much like to see in near future is an OS for running ezquake-client solely (in other words: Quit from Quake either turns off the pc or hibernates) and having network & only needed drivers customly built in for ones hw-setup. Make it ezQuakeOS with coreboot etc. - with no other functionalities than what is needed for running essential things for one single game. =)

best,
AC
mod

Re: ReactOS & ezQuake, join your github-forces?

Post by mod »

(could as well be completely HDD-less.)
PeterLinuxer

Post by PeterLinuxer »

Well, as far as I can see, there's no one except you who likes this idea. So there's only one person who might write such an "OS": You!

Greetings
Peter
ReactOS is in early development phase! And ReactOS is not Linux.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

It sounds like a great idea.

You can fork and modify ReactOS to run Quake by default.

Then you can replace the explorer shell with a Quake I interface where instead of pointing and clicking on desktop items you select a weapon and blast it.
I had the same such an idea years ago.

So, no need to create a new o/s from scratch, no need to rewrite ReactOS, just integrate Q into boot, design a shell and you have a slimline bootable Quake OS.

Ignore Peter, he cannot talk for everyone else, only for himself. It is a good idea and you can probably, given time, make it happen.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
PeterLinuxer

Post by PeterLinuxer »

Ok, I was a bit rushing in when I said no one likes it. And I'm proven wrong. I fear it still stays true that nobody will jump in to help. But one never knows...

So at least we agree it's possible. It could perhaps be a good learning experience and fun.

Greetings
Peter
ReactOS is in early development phase! And ReactOS is not Linux.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
you will need to find a quake source port that will run on ReactOS and then modify it so if the player quits it hibernates or sleeps the system or test open-source kiosk mode software in ReactOS
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

It could be a fun project of the type that will become possible when ReactOS is more stable (good networking stack), The file system is less of an issue with a single use game. I have talked in the past about bundling an o/s with legacy applications. This is a similar use.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.