How many of you still use Windows XP?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

dizt3mp3r

Re: How many of you still use Windows XP?

Post by dizt3mp3r »

You should really read the previous post history and take the advice given there. I know that ignorance is bliss but if you find yourself basking in a life where everything computing-wise seems sorted it might be wise to check whether you are actually ignorant or not.

One way is to check whether you are still using XP - connected to the internet.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
jefferson

Post by jefferson »

One of the best and wonderful OS. I like this OS and till use it for my oersonal use.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

So do I, I have a Asus XP gaming system so that I can run 16 bit games. Also, an XP laptop Acer 7720G that I regularly boot. Both also act as a ReactOS test system. There are ReactOS/testers and developers who still persist to use XP. It makes not a lot of sense to use it daily and connected to the internet but if you really know what you are doing...
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Ueniaspell

Post by Ueniaspell »

I didn't think I'd have to go back in time. It just so happens that I have to reopen the question regarding connecting the XP version. I'm new here. I found a WHQL-certified driver on the internet for USB connectivity.
bozmun

Post by bozmun »

Currently running XP on my old Mac. Apple's old drivers work good. Good for running things like Acid that don't run any other way anywhere else.
MavisOutson12

Post by MavisOutson12 »

I didn't think I'd have to go back in time. It just so happens that I have to reopen the question regarding connecting the XP version. I'm new here. I found a WHQL-certified driver on the internet for USB connectivity. I don't know how to connect it. I was told that it is possible to transfer data from a laptop and do RAID DATA RECOVERY for a better continuation. But I don't know how to do it properly afterwards - transfer the files to be recovered. If they don't match in format or size, code, what to do.
Last edited by MavisOutson12 on Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

ORLY? Well... tell that our Release Manager ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I have just installed XP on a Dell Dimension with a Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600, a 500gb hybrid SSD/HDD and a decent-ish GPU.

With just 4gb RAM and all utils loaded it gives 3.5gb RAM available to programs to use, it is very quick to boot (25secs) and snappy to operate.

It runs three or four useful pieces of software that only operate now on XP, some project management tools that were very good and unfortunately no longer available. It runs Battleground Ardennes that has a 16 bit installer, a few other games whose DRM is tied to XP and most importantly it acts as a test bed for programs developed in VB6/VB2005-2008 - as well as being a comparison tool for code coming to/from ReactOS. A good test tool for ReactOS in general.

XP is also extremely snappy to operate, efficient as a development environment, no nags, nothing gets in the way and most importantly it is free from recent Microsoft GUI decisions. It is a great o/s and I think of it now as - Win7 Lite. Makes it more acceptable to the brain.

This machine has a second drive that also allows me to boot ReactOS.
wimc

Post by wimc »

Still used on my very first Dell computer, bought new roughly 2002.

Primarily used for Microsoft Visual Basic 6 Professional SP6, since around 2002.
middings

Post by middings »

Still using XP on a Hewlett-Packard a350n for e-mail, MS Office XP (2002) Excel and Word. (I detest the user interface introduced in MS Office 2007.)
elliot15

Post by elliot15 »

I use Microsoft Windows XP 64-bit on my VirtualMachine. As I'm a gamer, I was literally forced to upgrade, but I still use XP for other things, primarily work-related.
shimran964

Post by shimran964 »

I am using Windows XP on my one desktop for my scanner because I have not found the driver of my BENQ scanner for windows 10.