[ros-web] New proposed frontpage for reactos.com

James Dodd admin at doddnetwork.co.uk
Wed Mar 30 12:49:13 CEST 2005

Hey all

Here's my view on the new look:

I think people are right with the about page.
People will have a lot of initial question.
There is already a FAQ so maybe this just needs extending with a few simpler
points? Such as "what is React OS?"

I think the design is still lacking something:

The colour scheme isn't exactly working well with the logo for me,
Try: #3a556e;

I also think that the positioning of the menu is slightly off and should be
made more focal:

http://www.doddnetwork.co.uk/reactos/
In this design I've added a container with limited widths (I just prefer
them?!),
Header background colours have changed to the above,
I've also moved the language bar to the top of the screen...

It's a little easier for non English speakers to find without having to
browse the page!

I agree with points about the table design and I will play with CSS to
create an alternative this way if you like!

Basically the overall design seems to look to technical its looking a little
old hat and pretty 90's 'X OS like (unix and linux sites!)

Even these companies are moving away from this and creating a more user
friendly approach to their sites which intern represents their OS.

The new site at the moment does seem more appropriate to developers as
apposed to attracting new audiences.

Sorry if my criticism is a little harsh.
But that is what this is all about isn't it!

James Dodd
doddnetwork