[ros-kernel] install problem

Bernd Blaauw bblaauw at home.nl
Thu Jun 3 23:09:24 CEST 2004

Mike Nordell schreef:

> But then... isn't the SCSI (or other media) driver stored with a hard-coded
> name on the initial partition? If not, how is the boot loader informed about
> filename of this driver?
> (I think I'm finally getting an understanding of probably the most
> underdocumented area of Windows - from a users POV)
>
> /Mike

IIRC, it's always NTBOOTDD.SYS if your SCSI drive is on a controller without a SCSI BIOS.
(like Adaptec 2904 controller)

boot partition:
system files (boot.ini, ntdetect.com, ntldr)
ntbootdd.sys (optional but sometimes required)

system partition:
rest of files (including ntoskrnl.exe and others)

this might be why after feeding Win2000 with the F6-drivers it reboots but still manages
to load the user-provided drivers.

if a company like Cenatek (they build DRAM-based Solid State Disks on PCI boards)
ever write a decent Windows driver, you can install Windows to the SSD even though it's
not bootable at all. (of course the boot partition then has to be another drive)

might be nice for a very small (in disksize) OS like ReactOS to be installed on such a disk,
and then your Win32 application. Small overhead :)

Bernd