[ros-general] About filesystem support...

Brandon Turner turnerb7 at msu.edu
Mon Nov 6 15:29:11 CET 2006

João Jerónimo wrote:
> Brandon Turner wrote:
>
>>> So... if you are going to use the code from one of the many projects for
>>> ext2/3 drivers around there "when they are good enough", why do the ROS
>>> source has a driver in /reactos/drivers/filesystems/ext2? Is it one of
>>> the popular IFS ext2/3 drivers that has, meanwhile, become "good
>>> enough"? Or is it a ReactOS internal subproject?
>>>

>> I think it is the ext2 from http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd but
>> it is probably a really old version.  It is rumored to work in our CC
>> branch but not in trunk.
>>

> Ok...
> And what do you mean exactly by CC branch?
>
> Don't forget I'm not a developer... :-) However, you don't have to
> explain what a "branch" is... I know it's a copy of something from the
> trunk that is put in /branches to allow a separate set of commits (and
> remains separated from the trunk until someone remerges it's changes)...
> But what's the CC branch?

Our CC branch is where some developers (Hartmut and Filip if I remember
correctly) rewrote the cache manager code of the kernel which the
filesystem is heavily dependent on.  With the changes they made it
possible to use the ext2 filesystem driver, but the changes in there
have not been moved to trunk yet.  I would imagine they will be soon and
I think Dr. Fred and a few others are trying to lead that charge.

>>> And what about NTFS? Does the driver in
>>> /reactos/drivers/filesystems/ntfs do something? Does it read?
>>> Is it an internal project?
>>>

>> I haven't looked at it in a while but I think that it was just a stub
>> driver that doesn't do anything.
>>

> This question was because the file structure doesn't look like a bunch
> of stub functions (which AFAIK normally just report something to a log
> system and return an error code)...
> Besides, even occupying much less space than the linux-ntfs directory
> (and I think that the sizes are comparable even with different APIs), it
> could have some functionality, although much less...
>
> JJ

I think it might be a little more then a stub but I don't think it does
much more then load the driver and setup some of its structures.
Though, there is one sure fire way to find out what it does, and that is
to try it and report back! ;)

--
Brandon Turner