[ros-general] About filesystem support...

Brandon Turner turnerb7 at msu.edu
Sat Nov 4 20:05:50 CET 2006

João Jerónimo wrote:
> I've just read the filesystems section of the Developer FAQ and it says:
> *
>  - Q* Why don't you implement Ext2/3 instead of focusing on NTFS?*
>  - A* Because NTFS is a major feature which must be supported at some
> time. Ext2/3 is of course a topic for us, however there are already
> projects whose goal it is to implement Ext2/3 for NT. We will utilize
> these drivers when they are good enough.
>
> So... if you are going to use the code from one of the many projects for
> ext2/3 drivers around there "when they are good enough", why do the ROS
> source has a driver in /reactos/drivers/filesystems/ext2? Is it one of
> the popular IFS ext2/3 drivers that has, meanwhile, become "good
> enough"? Or is it a ReactOS internal subproject?

I think it is the ext2 from http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd but
it is probably a really old version.  It is rumored to work in our CC
branch but not in trunk.
> And what about NTFS? Does the driver in
> /reactos/drivers/filesystems/ntfs do something? Does it read?
> Is it an internal project?

I haven't looked at it in a while but I think that it was just a stub
driver that doesn't do anything.
> JJ

Brandon Turner
ReactOS Release Engineer