[ros-dev] Microsoft switched to Git

Colin Finck colin at reactos.org
Wed Feb 15 10:53:29 UTC 2017

Am 15.02.2017 um 11:35 schrieb David Quintana (gigaherz):
> The number doesn't matter. The ReactOS project can't afford to lost any
> long-time members. Git would be a benefit for all of us, but it has to
> be a benefit for ALL of us.

Let's not forget:

- Part of the reasons developers had against Git may have been resolved
by now.
- Part of the problem may be that "Git is so different" to some devs,
but I think this can be resolved by a detailed Wiki article showing how
to do the same thing in SVN and Git. We already wrote such articles for
TortoiseSVN after all!
- And finally, we first need a plan for a Git move that doesn't suck. We
tried SubGit and it failed for us. Then there is the "Merge workflow",
which is supported very well by all tools, but creates a lot of parallel
history. The "Rebase workflow" is more like what SVN does (keeping a
linear history), but no idea how to enforce that with TortoiseGit.

I think if a team could look after these things and help moving each and
every developer towards Git, it may even be doable for us.

Cheers,

Colin