[ros-dev] New Setup system

David Hinz post.center at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 11:31:13 CET 2006

I personally would prefer a compression that uses solid archives, nobody
needs to just extract one file, we need them all. Maybe we can create a
new container format, that includes the dependencies of the package at a
specified position at the beginning of the file and then the compressed
archive.

I'm thinking of a xml based package, it would look a bit like this:

<rospckg version="1.0">
   <head>
     <package>ReactOS-base</package>
     <version>0.3.0</version>
     <dependencies>
       <+ package="freeldr"> //this package is required
         <minver>1.0</minver>  //it has to be at least this version
         <maxver>1.2.1</maxver>  //any version higher than this one is
not allowed
         <notver>1.0.1b;1.2.0.3d;1.1.1-badver</notver>  //these versions
are not allowed
       </+>
       <- package="ntldr">  //there is a conflict, these two packages
can't be installed at the same time
         <exceptver>2.0.1-ros</exceptver>  //but this one IS allowed
       </->
     </dependencies>
     <description>
       <shortdesc>This is one sentence about this app</shortdesc>
       <extdesc>Put the long description here, there is no
limit...</extdesc>
     </description>
   </head>
   <archives>
     <install base="%SYSTEMROOT%" type="7zip">
       Here will be one compressed archive that will be unzipped to
%SYSTEMROOT%
     </install>
     <install base="%WHATEVER%" type="tar"
       And a tar archive...