[ros-dev] New Setup system

David Hinz post.center at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 23:45:37 CET 2006

Alex Ionescu schrieb:

> Sounds a lot like the new Vista AIK and the XIMAGE system Microsoft is
> working on. Not saying that's a bad thing, on the contrary, but why
> re-invent the wheel? We could just use their tools.

And exactly that is what it's not. I've been looking a lot at the new
Vista deployment tools and ximage in the last two weeks, and the
difference is, that MS creates a file based image of the whole system
partition, copies it onto the harddisk and starts the setup, and what I
described is a bit more like the debian installer, everything is in
packages, that depend on other packages (or not) and each of them has
it's own configuration.
This is much more customizable and flexible than Microsofts ximage.

You can create one cd for the whole company, but when you have installed
ReactOS you just have to connect to the repository server and select the
repositories you need for this workstation. You will never ever have to
touch this workstaion again, it will be automatically updated with
exactly the things needed on this workstation.

Keep in mind, my idea is not to make the installation as fast as
possible and to waste as less space on the installation medias as
possible, I want to make the administrators job a bit easier.

Plus this has positive effects for home users too, as we have a system
wide update manager and not one for every vendor.

> Best regards,
> Alex Ionescu

Greets,

David Hinz