[ros-dev] Propose standards for the audit

art yerkes ayerkes at speakeasy.net
Sat Jan 28 08:49:28 CET 2006

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 01:21:22 -0600
James Hawkins <truiken at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/28/06, Steven Edwards <winehacker at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > Ok here are some proposed ground rules for the audit. Mostly thanks to
> > Art and Alex. We are still open for debate on this

> > 1. A function is deemed to have been implemented in a non-clean manner if
> >
> >  - functions for which there is NO DOCUMENTATION
>
> I think this condition isn't always evidence of a non-clean
> implementation of a function.  A developer might have written tests
> for a function and not committed them back to ReactOS.  This could be
> rewritten as:
>
> "If a function has NO DOCUMENTATION and no test cases exist either in
> ReactOS or elsewhere, then test cases must be submitted to ReactOS."

Actually, that appears 4 lines later in the original.

> >  - functions with excessive gotos
> >

> This case is similar to the documentation case in that it's not direct
> evidence of a non-clean implementation.  I frequently use gotos for
> releasing many resources in error cases as a way of factoring code.  A
> better wording would be:
>
> "Functions with excessive gotos should be marked for further inspection."
>
> --
> James Hawkins

Nobody's saying 'oh noes ... we must toss all code with gotos'.
These are metrics for functions that we must consider as needing
more than cursory examination.  I was trying to set some
boundaries for clearly in and clearly out that can be measured
in a somewhat objective way.

To me, using more than two or three goto targets per function is
excessive.  Goto targets for cleanup and generic error handling
are pretty common in C code, but I believe that code which uses
more than a handful of gotos should at least be examined in
detail.
--
Here's a simple experiment. Stand on a train track between two
locomotives which are pushing on you with equal force in opposite