[ros-dev] Re: [ros-svn] [mbosma] 20952: Delete libjpeg because bla bla ...

Maarten Bosma maarten.paul at bosma.de
Fri Jan 20 22:54:25 CET 2006

Hi,

> I believe that something like that is easily commented out, and does
> not require a removal of the entire lib.

No, that is already disabled by default as far as I know, we are talking
about another patent: U.S. Patent 4,698,672
<http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?patentnumber=4,698,672> that
will expire on *October 27, 2006.*

Also I'd also like to explain that this lib was never used. It did only
import it into /vendor and not into /trunk/reactos/lib, so a revert of
my delete would be pointless if none wants to write code that uses it. I
do have imported it in my working copy, together with a almost done
patch for jpeg-wallpaper loading, but I have decided not to commit it
until *October 27, 2006.

*Here is a quote from interesting quote from wikipedia:

> In 2002 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002> Forgent Networks
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forgent_Networks> asserted that it owns
> and will enforce patent <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent> rights
> on the JPEG technology, arising from a patent that had been filed in
> 1986 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986> (U.S. Patent 4,698,672
> <http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?patentnumber=4,698,672>).
> The announcement has created a furor reminiscent of Unisys
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unisys>' attempts to assert its rights
> over the GIF <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIF> image compression
> standard.
>
> The JPEG committee investigated the patent claims in 2002 and are of
> the opinion that they were invalidated by prior art. Others have also
> concluded that Forgent doesn't have a patent that covers JPEG.
> Nevertheless, between 2002 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002> and
> 2004 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004> Forgent was able to obtain
> about $90 million by licensing their patent to some 30 companies. In
> April 2004 Forgent sued 31 other companies to enforce further license
> payments. In July of the same year, a consortium of 21 large computer
> companies filed a countersuit, with the goal of invalidating the
> patent. However, as of July 2005, the battle is still ongoing ).
> Surprisingly, in contrast to the other major computer companies such
> as Sony and Philips, Microsoft has launched a major lawsuit against
> Forgent. In principle, the Forgent patent will expire in 2006.
>
> The JPEG committee has as one of its explicit goals that their
> standards (in particular their baseline methods) be implementable
> without payment of license fees, and they have secured appropriate
> license rights for their upcoming JPEG 2000
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG_2000> standard from over 20 large
> organizations.

PS: I did already write to mailing list once because of this. topic is
"[ros-dev] libjpeg"

Best regards,

Maarten Bosma