[ros-dev] Bye bye

Hartmut Birr osexpert at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 19 17:54:39 CET 2006

WaxDragon wrote:
> Alex clearly stated that there is only one way to perform that stack
> check, let's quote him properly:
>
> "Note however, that there is only one way to check the stack: cmp ebp,
> esp. Unless you want to consider cmp esp, ebp as an alternate method."

And does exist only one way to handle the wrong stack? Alex said nothing
about this.

Every developer handles the wrong stack in the same way like Windows. It
is absolutely clearly, that a wrong stack must result in a v86 exception.

Sorry WD, the code was simply inserted by copy and paste. If you don't
like to see something, you will see nothing.

> As Casper said, it is legal to use that information, but not legal to
> *copy/paste* it into ReactOS.  Alex clearly comprehends what that bit
> of assembly does.

If it is legal by the ReactOS policy to disassemble every piece of
windows code to implement ReactOS, I would like it if ReactOS can put
this on the home page as the first topic.

This type of reverse-engineering is prohibited by law in many countries.
It gives M$ a very easy way to kick the project.

I can't believe that the project was started with this justification.

My recommendation for ReactOS is:

1) Review the ReactOS project development policy

2) Review all code

3) Remove all code, which don't match to the policy.

- Hartmut