[ros-dev] Patent on FAT

nitro2k01 nitro2k01 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 21:56:21 CET 2006

> MS is targetting two groups at the moment: Vendors of USB sticks who
> preinstall files on their sticks, and vendors of cams and mp3 players
Wait a sec, how could the patent be used against storing LFN files on
a USB stick. Suppose the vendor of the stick uses Windows to copy
files to one stick, no patents violated. Then the stick is mass
produced, and the raw data is duplicated. I guess still no patents
violated, since the data is never interpreted in this step, only raw
copied. (If that would violate the patent, so would every backup
software deep copying data and storing it on backup medium such as a
CD-ROM)
And finally the user puts the stick in her Windows computer, Windows
interprets the file system, still no patent violated.

I see your point with cams and mp3 players however since they have to
interpret data, so they'll have to stick with SFN.

Another question: If MS would in fact decide to sue ROS, would the
whole project be in target, or only the one programmer behind the FAT
implementation?

                                                 /nitro2k01

--
The blog  of nitro2k01: <http://soundandcomplete.blogspot.com/>
Saliga äro de som kan stava till 2k01!        Sniphpha sniphph!