[ros-dev] Patent on FAT

Mark Tempel mtempel at visi.com
Fri Jan 13 21:49:42 CET 2006

He is absolutly correct (from my reading of the patents).

If you want to be free of the patent, and support long filenames, you just need
to store the long filename information in a manner that MS has not patented.

This could be done by several means (like a hidden file with the mapping in each
directory).

You can still keep the short file name DIRENTs on the filesystem.  This will
allow you to write data to a fat partition that can be read by Windows (with
only short file names) and read by Ros (short and long file names).

As to paying MS $0.25 for each download I would worry that the act of paying MS
is the same as admitting that ROS agrees that the patents are valid.  That, I
would guess, could make it hard to claim otherwise in court.

I'm not a lawyer so take that with a large grain of salt.

--mark