[ros-dev] Patent on FAT

Murphy, Ged (Bolton) MurphyG at cmpbatteries.co.uk
Wed Jan 11 13:23:41 CET 2006

nitro2k01 wrote:

> I haven't seen the patant documents, but doesn't this mean that any
> file system which stores both long and short file names on the same
> volume would be theoreticlly affected?

No. Long files names were incorporated into unix systems long before the
days FAT, or even DOS.
This patent (if correct) is linked to FAT only.

If is true, it would effect many things, but I can't see Microsoft enforcing
it, it would alienate themselves.

Just the fact that it is there is a problem for ReactOS though, even if they
don't do anything about it.

I haven't been able to find a copy of the patent yet. AFAIK, it was only
released today.

Ged.

The information contained in this message or any of its
attachments is confidential and is intended for the exclusive
use of the addressee. The information may also be legally
privileged. The views expressed may not be company policy,
but the personal views of the originator. If you are not the
addressee, any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other
dissemination or use of this communication is strictly prohibited.
postmaster at exideuk.co.uk
<mailto:postmaster at exideuk.co.uk> and then delete this message.

Exide Technologies is an industrial and transportation battery
producer and recycler with operations in 89 countries.
Further information can be found at www.exide.com