[ros-dev] Patent on FAT

TwoTailedFox twotailedfox at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 13:06:08 CET 2006

This stinks of Market Saturation.

Microsoft floods the market with a free File System, used in
practically everything, fro Camera's, Memory Sticks, and of course,
Operating Systems such as Linux and ReactOS.

Trying to enforce a patent 20 years after the software was developed
should not be allowed. Then again, this is a US Patent, so no other
countries are affected by this.

On 1/11/06, Casper Hornstrup <ch at eudicon.com> wrote:

> The patent is about storing short and long filenames on the same volume.
>
> In theory ReactOS violates that patent, but the patent has yet to be proven
>
> valid (as with many other technology patents). To fix it, we can make the
>
> support for this optional, so people in countries who honour US patents can
>
> disable the support.
>

> Casper

"I had a handle on life, but then it broke"