[ros-dev] Re: Trunk Freeze

Alex Ionescu ionucu at videotron.ca
Sat Sep 17 16:24:48 CEST 2005

WaxDragon wrote:

>Well, 17891, 17892, and 17893 are NOT bugfixes.  Could the committers
>explain why these changes were checked into a frozen trunk?

Probably they were not aware of the freezing.
Devs in charge of those revisions, please revert those changes or
explain how they are bug fixes.

>Well, after Casper told me that Freeze process was never voted on,

It was voted on IRC and through your appointement as TC, as outlined on
the Wiki.

>guess this whole excersice is pointless.

No, it just proves that some people are willing to play with your mind
and discourage you when they don't like something, even though the
ENTIRE team is backing you on this.

>  I was told to maintain my
>own stable release branch and "work on improving our development
>processes instead".

One person's opinion versus 10 others which agree with the freeze.

>Consider TRUNK unfrozen.  Have fun with your bugs, I'm going to enjoy
>my weekend.

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to let someone trash you down on IRC and
overrule your (and the other devs') decision. TRUNK must remain frozen
as decided. You're not the only one who made the decision to freeze it,
others backed you, and you can't just unfreeze it like this without
everyone else that froze it agreeing. This is a typical rule of common
voting, and it's been originally made so that someone couldn't get
bribed into making a unilateral decision after a group of people made
one :). In your case, you were intimiated.

Best regards,
Alex Ionescu