[It will be updated.Send your FAQs + answers via PM and i will add them too.]RELATED TO FORUMWhere is the EDIT button? I can't EDIT my posts!
ReactOS forum has a known bug with the EDIT button. Just follow these easy steps and you will have your EDIT button forever:
1)At the Left is the "Account" Menu, click on "User Control Panel".
2)There select the "Board Preferences"Tab.
3)Then click "Submit" without changing anything.(If "Hide online status" is ON, turn it OFF)
4)Now you should see the "Edit option" in your posts RELATED TO REACTOS
Is ReactOS able to run Windows apps and Windows drivers?
Yes. ReactOS is able to load Windows apps and Windows drivers without hacking them. Remember: we are still in the Alpha stage so we have a big walk until reaching these objectives.
You can visit our Software and Hardware Compatibility databases to know which Drivers and Apps are compatible with the latest ReactOS version.
My mouse/keyboard/pendrive/external HDD are not working!
ReactOS doesn't have USB support (yet), so forget about devices that use USB plugs. No, your pendrive won't work.
Can I install ReactOS from a pendrive/stick?
There is no known way to install ReactOS from pendrive/stick. Any method relies in ReactOS installing itself, so it needs USB support to accomplish the task. ReactOS doesn't have USB support so:
- Use a CD-RW instead, or a normal CD My screen turns black when loading ReactOS. I don't see anything.
It seems your video card is not yet compatible with ReactOS, search our Hardware Compatibility Database to find a compatible one. Also report yours as not compatible, it will help others. Share your findings!
Does ReactOS support Ext2/Ext3/NTFS?
- ReactOS currently only supports FAT filesystems including FATx(Xbox variation of FAT).
- Once cache manager rewrite is finished there will be a push to make ext2 support available.
- Some day, when ReactOS can handle it (kernel) we could use the NTFS driver from windows, but ReactOS will never recommend this for various legal reasons. Some time after that someone WILL write a true NTFS driver for ReactOS, whether it's an adaptation of a Linux one (unlikely) or a written from scratch using stuff out there as references.
Does ReactOS have a POSIX subsystem?
- We currently don't have a POSIX subsystem. Well, we have one but it's broken and it's not a priority in terms of compatibility. After all, we're trying to run Windows programs here, not POSIX programs.
- Think first: ReactOS should be stable and support a good deal of windows apps. Then worry about POSIX/*NIX, Mac, WinCe, OS/2, RiscOS, whatever else...
Does ReactOS work in PPC ,x64 or ARM processors/?
- ReactOS currently works only in x86 based computers
- ReactOS will work on ARM some day soon, there is some serious work going on to accomplish this...
- ReactOS will run on x64 based computers, but only in x86 mode. (Someday soon some one will make us x64 compatible and if you want us to hurry this up, get the people who write our tools to develop a system that can properly build to x64)
- Someday ReactOS will work on other processors/architectures. But we currently don't have the man power to port to 20 different architectures...
- x86, x64, ARM and PPC represent the majority of processors out there. I inserted the Installation CD but the installation doesn't begin.
Modified following hto suggestions.Thanks
Maybe your CD/DVD is a SATA device that Uniata doesn't support yet. (So neither ReactOS).
If your CD/DVD is ATA then try the next trick:OPTIONAL STEP( backing up):
1)Back up uniata.sys as uniataB_UP.sys.
2)Back up atapi.sys as atapiB_UP.sysREPLACING
3)Rename uniata.sys to atapi2.sys
4)Rename atapi.sys to uniata.sys
5)Rename atapi2.sys to atapi.sysIf you mess the files/get lost when replacing, you can use the backep up files from the Optional Step
.The installation hangs or hangs before reaching the Desktop
Try the "I inserted the Installation CD but the installation doesn't begin" trick if your HDD is an ATA device. Remember that trick doesn't work at all with SATA devices.
When is 0.4 appearing? And Beta? And 1.0? And 123.0? And...
It depends. We need Devs and Testers (Coordinated Testers).
Last statistic says 99.99% of the forum users who ask these questions has never helped in a Coordinated Testing. So stop asking and use that time to help us
, if you want it asap then contribute a little. Money is appreciated but testing is much more useful at current stage.
We perform several Coordinated Testings via IRC. Join them and you will discover the feelings of being part of the Community, not just part of the Forum.Why there is no Roadmap?
An OS covers a wide area of knowledge, it is not an App, it is a whole,-in-the-way-to-become-awesome OS.
So we need devs from all the areas, it's not easy to find skilled devs, and also they are not paid, they have their real-life-work, families and problems. So no, we can't press them to work in a particular area. We can just thank them for dedicating some time to make this OS become a reality.ReactOS desktop looks quite old! Why don't you create a new explorer.exe?
ReactOS is an Alpha Operating System. Currently our devs have other tasks in our TODO list, as Improving software and hardware compatibility, that must be completed first. Anyway, we have a branch where a explorer-new.exe is being developed. Currently its development is stopped due to unimplemented COM/OLE background code which is needed to make it work.
There are alternative Shells out there, when ReactOS is compatible enough it will be able to load them. Also an Italian dev (Dax) is developing an alternative explorer (currently unofficial) that seems to be a nice replacement. It is written in C++, so if you want to help its development just download the sources and play with it. About the shell: Why don't you add KDE4 to ReactOS ?
- KDE 4 is gonna run on Windows. But that has nothing to do with ReactOS. We do not need nor do we want to have KDE4 within the source repository. Alternative shells fall under the "user installable and not needed for compatibility" category and thus will not be included.
- We are alpha software, ReactOS can barely boot at times, we are not going to release "distros" any time soon. So no custom GUIs with KDE 4 or whatever else... Feel free to make your own if you want, but the dev team will not do so.
- ReactOS Explorer is the default shell, this will not change anytime soon. And any change to its coding will not dramatically change the way it looks either.
- We appreciate your suggestions about icons, themes, fonts and all that jazz... ReactOS doesn't have theme support, the default "theme" is going to stay there for some time. (ALWAYS use the design forum for these suggestions). I don't know how to code... How can I help?
We are always testing something. Just come to IRC and ask for something to be tested. We will give you some RosWork accordingly to your skills.
The "I don't know how to code" is the preferred excuse followed by the "I don't have time" or "Each time I test ReactOS god kills a kitty".
I know how to code.... How can I help?
If you are a Dev, then join IRC and ask any doubts about our code, find a place in ReactOS to work, you can select any, but first contact and tell us. Maybe other Devs are currently working in that particular area.
"Less time wasted when efforts coordinated!"-Yoda said.I don't know how to code but I want to learn. How?
Study C, C++, WinAPI, then read books as "Windows Internals" and/or "Operating System Concepts".
Come and ask us. For C and C++ questions you have the C and C++ irc channels, they will solve your doubts much faster.