Ist it possible to run ROS in a VBox with multiple cores?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

matthiasbasler

Ist it possible to run ROS in a VBox with multiple cores?

Post by matthiasbasler »

Hi ReactOS developers and gurus,

for quite some time I wonder if it is possible to use the power of my quadcore CPU or ReactOS in VirtualBox. The problem is:
When I select to use two of its CPUs in VirtualBox, it tells me, "IO-APIC" is required for this.
However the VirtualBox tutorial page on the ROS wiki states that "IO-APIC" must be off. (https://reactos.org/wiki/VirtualBox)

Frankly, I have no idea what "IO-APIC" is about (except for the short toolip VBox shows me), and I don't know why it is not allowed (or not recommended?) for ReactOS.

Can anyone who knows please explain what this is about and why it is not allowed or not recommended?
Or maybe it can be used in the mean time?

matthiasbasler
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Ist it possible to run ROS in a VBox with multiple cores

Post by EmuandCo »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_ ... Controller

Here you are. You can try with and without, but what for? ReactOS does not support multi threading yet, all your hopes are not to fulfil right now anyways.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
matthiasbasler

Post by matthiasbasler »

Thanks for your answer, EmuandCo.
I admit that my knowledge about processor architecture is not good enough to understand much out of the explanation on Wikipedia either, but ...
EmuandCo wrote:ReactOS does not support multi threading yet.
... that's the important piece to know for now.

matthiasbasler
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Don't worry, of course we HAVE TO support it better sooner than later, there already is a kernel supporting it, but it is... not stable at all ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...