My icons for pifmgr.dll

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

dsp8195

My icons for pifmgr.dll

Post by dsp8195 »

Requested some time ago at CORE-10253.

I drew these using Windows XP pifmgr.dll's icons as a reference. Unlike XP, though, these use 256 colours (267, to be exact). This is a stylistic choice rather than limitation, since all icons are actually 32-bit PNG with alpha channel, 32x32 pixel only - I've never planned to make larger or smaller sizes.

[ external image ]

So far, only about half of the required icons were finished. The computer one used old icon of ROS NTVDM as a reference.

The colour palette used (copied from public domain Ruby code snippet and rendered thru PaintTool SAI's interface for convenience):
[ external image ]

The icon set is released under Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike 4.0 International license terms. You are free to use it for any purpose, just don't forget to credit me.

I'm posting them here so people would notice and continue where I left, since I no longer maintain those.

You can download the individual icons at CORE-10253.
Konata

Re: My icons for pifmgr.dll

Post by Konata »

These looks amazing! Are they getting integrated into ROS? I hope so!
ercanersoy

Post by ercanersoy »

These icons should contain icon for 16 color mode.
dsp8195

Post by dsp8195 »

ercanersoy wrote:These icons should contain icon for 16 color mode.
Actually, they don't. 16-colour icons were done back in Win 3.1 / 95 days, hence they used the common 16-colour palette. Nowadays, you won't see any Windows installation running in 16-colour mode by default, not to mention the applications themselves. It may be a good idea, though, to generate 16-colour versions for WinNE (16-bit) applications, but I don't remember for them to use or call pifmgr.dll at all.
middings

Post by middings »

HBelusca added dsp8195's icons to pifmgr.dll in r72667.
ercanersoy

Post by ercanersoy »

I viewing pifmgr.dll via Resource Hacker now. These are good icons. These icon groups contain 16 color, 256 color and 32-bit color mode. These icons deficiencies are some icon groups doesn't contain 16 x 16 icons and icon groups doesn't contain 16-bit color and 24-bit color mode.

00.ico is ROS-DOS. ROS-DOS doesn't real. I have thought of 00.ico contain only DOS or FreeDOS icon.
H6899

Post by H6899 »

I made 16 Color Icons:

[ external image ]
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Thanks H6889, let's wait for dsp8195 to know what he thinks about, then I'll have a look. In the commit r72667 some of his icons were converted to 16-colour already. I'll try to take the best of yours vs. mine.