Latest Arwinss ISO's

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Pisarz

Re: Latest Arwinss ISO's

Post by Pisarz »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC Wine theming is already there.
[ external image ]

Of course, WINE implementation is quite incomplete and buggy even on Linux itself, so I wouldn't expect any wonders here.
igorko

Post by igorko »

Thats what i meant when saying "native" theming support(how it is done in Windows)
ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 »

Hey,
Tried latest ISO using VBox, crashed after booting the first time into the OS
ReactOS - Open Your Windows to Freedom
igorko

Post by igorko »

Could you explain better when does it crash and give log?
bqqqaez

Post by bqqqaez »

ArmyMan007
VBox uses hacks for virtualization acceleration. These hacks work only for known operating systems. VBox very badly supports alternative operating systems. You never install ReactOS on VBox! Please, you would use Qemu or VMWare.
igorko

Post by igorko »

Latest arwinss build is not usable for me(tested under VMWare) - some huge memory leak is detected.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

A lot of memory leaks have been fixed since the latest version of Arwinns. Maybe after 0.3.14 there will be a new release.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
milon

Post by milon »

bqqqaez wrote:VBox uses hacks for virtualization acceleration. These hacks work only for known operating systems. VBox very badly supports alternative operating systems. You never install ReactOS on VBox! Please, you would use Qemu or VMWare.
I use VirtualBox all the time, and I've never had a problem. And if I did, it's a simple matter to disable VT-x. I like Vbox.
igorko

Post by igorko »

DOSGuy wrote:A lot of memory leaks have been fixed since the latest version of Arwinns. Maybe after 0.3.14 there will be a new release.
What leaks are you talking about? Arwinss never had memory leaks IIRC. And now we just have some new leak that looks like is caused by trunk/arwinss incompatiblity.

As for VBox. It's not about hacks. It's because ReactOS has buggy MM. And it's not arwinss problem, it's trunk's problem because MM is shared with both.
ArmyMan007 wrote:Hey,
Main question is: do you have that crash in trunk too? If yes than there is no point to say "Arwinss crashes during boot" because it's NOT arwinss fault. But if you have crash ONLY with arwinss iso than as i said provide log.
bqqqaez

Post by bqqqaez »

milon
I use VirtualBox all the time, and I've never had a problem. And if I did, it's a simple matter to disable VT-x. I like Vbox.
I too use the VBox. This very good application for work with popular operating systems. However, it does not support the ReactOS. The VBox is not compatible to the RectOS.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

bqqqaez wrote:
The VBox is not compatible to the RectOS.
It is the other way around, as VBox supports Win2003 just fine.
igorko

Post by igorko »

The VBox is not compatible to the RectOS.
Phew. VM(that emulates hardware, and VBox is hardware emulator) is not supposed to support OS, it is supposed to support PC architecture. And VirtualBox 3.x works ok with reactOS. The reason that ReactOS doesn't work in VBox 4x is some mix of Ros bugs and VBox bugs(features?). But it's not a question of OS support for VirtualBox.
Try yourself. Choose OS type as Linux and install Windows.(or any others combination). Most will work ok (if not all)
bqqqaez

Post by bqqqaez »

igorko
VM(that emulates hardware, and VBox is hardware emulator) is not supposed to support OS, it is supposed to support PC architecture.
100% hardware emulation is the Bochs. It very exact and slow.
The VBox contains optimization for known operating systems. The VBox is fast. However these optimization are badly compatible to alternative operating systems.
ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 »

Sorry for not being able to reply to all of your comments regarding my crash notification, I was on a field trip for 3 days working...

The crash occurred when I've used the latest ARWINSS build on VBox. Since I'm a mere user and have no idea on how to generate / create a crash log, I can't help you with a deep analysis. What I can tell you is that I've also used the latest ROS trunk on VBox, and THAT worked out just fine.
ReactOS - Open Your Windows to Freedom
igorko

Post by igorko »

ArmyMan007 wrote:The crash occurred when I've used the latest ARWINSS build on VBox.
Non very usefull info. WHEN did it crash? What stage of setup, what it was doing etc. Please be more concrete.