Read this if you've found software useful to ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nicamarvin2005

Re: Read this if you've found software useful to ReactOS

Post by nicamarvin2005 »

let me see if it works on ARWINSS... :D
BrentNewland

Post by BrentNewland »

FolderSize. GPL, C++. It adds a new column to Windows Explorer that shows the size of a folder.

http://foldersize.sourceforge.net/

However, install stops with an error. It does somewhat install (you can see the icon on the control panel, and start the service from there), but you can't currently choose which columns to use in Explorer.
DarkSnake-Kobra

Post by DarkSnake-Kobra »

Didn't see anything already in this topic, but I think including MinGW in the ReactOS installation is a good idea. It replaces the proprietary Microsoft C++ Redistributable with an open source compiler set. Also the bin folder should be set as an Environmental Variable so other programs can find it if needed. ;)
Xubuntu 11.10 x32 Running VirtualBox: |FreeBSD|FreeDOS|ReactOS|
[ external image ]
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

These two things you have mentioned aren't really alternatives of the same (compiler vs. runtime libraries).
DarkSnake-Kobra

Post by DarkSnake-Kobra »

Black_Fox wrote:These two things you have mentioned aren't really alternatives of the same (compiler vs. runtime libraries).
Error on my part. ;) Although it still would be nice to include it as it seems mostly advanced users use open source OS's and probably benefit from it. :)
Xubuntu 11.10 x32 Running VirtualBox: |FreeBSD|FreeDOS|ReactOS|
[ external image ]
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Some API monitors:
http://www.apimonitor.com/index.html
http://www.rohitab.com/apimonitor
The second one says it works even with 64-bit apps and seems to be free (as in beer).
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Please not DependecyWalker, which even works within ROS.
kix18

Post by kix18 »

does it work with Arwins?
milon

Post by milon »

Now that I've finally been able to test ROS (had to use a Live CD under VirtualBox), I'm going to again put forward metapad. The current notepad in ROS is a very basic tool, just the one that ships with Windows. Metapad is far superior, it's GNU GPL and written in C. I am posting this a second time because, as far as I can tell, it was dismissed without being looked at because it is older and hasn't been updated in a while. That's because it's mature and complete. No more updates are needed - unless someone wants to comment and organize the code. ;)
Please consider metapad for ROS inclusion.
http://liquidninja.com/metapad/download.html
perseus

Post by perseus »

Hi Milon,

I hope you have success this time. If not, may be you could recommend Metapad as a ReactOS equivalent to Wordpad.
frmariam

Post by frmariam »

As a Notepad alternative maybe but not as a Worpad replacement... It lacks .rtf support.

[offtopic]I like tiny self contained apps and the idea of a >5MB office suite is very appealing to me. Been looking for a nice OSS Wordpad alternative for ages but haven't found any... So far I found some freeware (but not OSS). An OSS equivalent to Qjot + Gwennel Doc would be awesome (both of them currently don't work in ROS). Coupled with an OSS equivalent to Spread32, Dillo-Win32, npop and SumatraPDF (old versions are a lot smaller) would make for a tiny but functional office suite without adding much bulk to a live CD (well bellow the size of something lik AbiWord)[/offtopic]
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Size is Not everything. Sumatrapdf is slow as he'll and full of missing functionality. We need features as #1 and size is secondary imo
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
milon

Post by milon »

frmariam wrote:As a Notepad alternative maybe but not as a Worpad replacement... It lacks .rtf support.
True, rtf was never really implemented for metapad. It will open metapad files and display the text correctly, but images seem to be outright ignored. Perhaps that's something that someone could add down the line. ;)

EDIT - Metapad had a new release back on 23 Dec 2010. Cool! Also, I have an edit button now. Yay! :D
fred02

Post by fred02 »

EmuandCo wrote:Size is Not everything. Sumatrapdf is slow as he'll and full of missing functionality. We need features as #1 and size is secondary imo
:shock: I'm quite surprised by this statement. Although speed measurement is a relative thing, I always thought Sumatra being faster than Adobe and even Foxit, especially since v5. It seems to be on par with STDU Viewer, but the latter have rendering problems. From the feature point of view, the only big missing functionality is the support for forms, but some "readonly" functionality was added in v1.8.
frmariam wrote: SumatraPDF (old versions are a lot smaller)
Older versions are smaller because they were compressed by UPX or MPRESS, but it created problems with antiviruses which tended to flag Sumatra as "suspicious". So to avoid having the forum flooded with complains about Sumatra being a virus with each new release, the authors decided to forgo the compression.
frmariam wrote: [offtopic]I like tiny self contained apps and the idea of a >5MB office suite is very appealing to me.
You probably meant to say <5MB. :)
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Is this http://www.mspaintxp.com/ (XP Paint for Win7) in any way useful for further development of ROS's Paint?