Read this if you've found software useful to ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

coldReactive

Re: Read this if you've found software useful to ReactOS

Post by coldReactive »

alexandrius wrote:Aren't you afraid of microsoft?
read wikipedia more:
On January 17, 2006 a (now former) developer named Hartmut Birr claimed on the ReactOS Developers mailing list (ros-dev) that ReactOS contained code derived from disassembling Microsoft Windows. As a result of this, the project's developers decided to temporarily suspend access to files of the operating system for non-developers while the contributors were contacted to ensure clean reverse engineering. Since ReactOS is a free/open-source software development project, this action caused a negative reaction by the free software community. Contributors to its development were not affected by this action, and all access to the software development tools was restored shortly afterward.

Consequently, from March 2006 through December 2007, an internally conducted source code audit was carried out to ensure that only clean room reverse engineering was used. All developers were also made to sign an agreement committing them to use only clean room reverse engineering. In September 2007, with the audit nearing completion, the audit status was removed from the ReactOS homepage. Though the audit was completed, specific details were not made public as it was only an internal effort to ensure legally produced code.

In spite of the internal audit's claims to have found no definitive proof, RosAsm's developer, Betov, claimed that the most suspect files were missing from the list of files selected for the audit. In response to this, the ReactOS developers made a public statement where they "agree that the files, pointed by Betov, in the ReactOS sources [...] belong to Microsoft" but also declare that they "are in the opinion that using these materials is legal, and is not a problem." The license covering the code, available here, is the standard EULA that comes with the Windows NT Device Driver Kit, which allows the user to "modify the sample source code ("Sample Code") to design, develop and test your Software Product, and reproduce and distribute the Sample Code with such modifications in source and object code forms". It is unclear if such an agreement would be applicable to a 'clone'.

Concerns have also been raised about ReactOS more generally, because of differing definitions of 'clean-room' engineering. ReactOS could be potentially threatened by patents owing to the implementation of certain features (like support for the patented long file name kludge).

Despite all the concerns and as yet untested allegations, the source code of ReactOS has since the initial lockout remained available (and thus open for inspection).
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

alexandrius wrote:Aren't you afraid of microsoft?
No actually... as a matter of fact, Alex Ionescu, one of our former developers, is one of Mark Russinovich's associates. Russinovich, as you know, is the author of the Windows Internals book and a Technical Fellow at Microsoft. The fact that Alex contributes to the Microsoft-published book probably shows that Microsoft doesn't really care much about us for now.... Also don't forget that our presence would mean that people would buy and install more copies of Microsoft Office
pablorosatti

Post by pablorosatti »

Z98 wrote:Umm, TNG is just an implementation of a protocol that Microsoft created. For that matter, they HAVE a native Windows version. The entire point of Samba and TNG is to implement the same services one finds on Windows, so they're analogous to the kind of work Wine does.
The entire point of the apps i suggest is to implement the same apps one finds on Windows.
andrewweb

Re: Utility Toolbar

Post by andrewweb »

Phalanx wrote:
andrewweb wrote::D Great chart, does COMPILED, pure delphi qualify(it is pure win32, unlike vbasic!).

Look in the suggestions section for my bit about Utilituy toolbar(PLEASE include it!) :D
That is the very problem. The project is open source, and meant to be compiled with as little other tools/libraries etc as possible. That is why they state C/C++, not win32 binaries. Even while in win32 it can matter if it is a win32, MFC, etc.
Oh dear, thats an old post by me. Why on earth did I say include utility toolbar? It really was rubbish!
milon

Post by milon »

I registered on this forum just to link metapad. It's released under the GNU GPL and it's written in ANSI C with Win32 API (look under the "How?" section). It's a great replacement for notepad, and if you don't have something like this already, check it out! (I wouldn't know - I've been tracking ROS for a couple years now, but it doesn't want to boot on my computer! :lol: )
milon

Post by milon »

Sorry for the double-post, but I don't see an edit button.

EDIT: I should say, ROS doesn't work yet on my computer! I have faith that it will one day. Either that or I'll quit messing around with AMD... :roll:
RideBMX

Post by RideBMX »

Metapad hasn't had an update in three years (except the license change). And ReactOS already has a notepad.

(The edit button is next to all the other buttons on your post (Edit, Delete, Report, Quote).)
milon

Post by milon »

My bad.

And it must be a new user thing. I've only got Report Post and Delete Post. Delete Post seems to disappear once another post has been added.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 »

milon wrote:Either that or I'll quit messing around with AMD... :roll:
Ya know, this really makes it sound like you're an Intel fanboy... may I recommend not stating these kinds of things to avoid flame wars? (also I've gotton ReactOS to run on my Athlon XP 2100+...)
Last edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 on Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
doomonyou

Post by doomonyou »

milon wrote:I should say, ROS doesn't work yet on my computer! I have faith that it will one day. Either that or I'll quit messing around with AMD...
Really? It works for me on AMD but not Intel so much.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

How about Cyrix/VIA/whatever? ;)
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

milon:
Use the Search box at the Left and introduce the next words and then click on Search: EDIT vicmarcal
You will find a solution for your Edit button issues
ironek69

Post by ironek69 »

have anyone heard of http://www.oyhus.no/SubLCD.html? It's font smoothing library. It's C, it's GPL, but that's all i can say
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Thank you Ironek. It will be passed to interested parties. Please keep up the great work.
cruonit

Post by cruonit »

Telnet server:

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/IP/telnetview.aspx

as far as i see it is written in C/C++ maybe it could help maybe not. Licence not specified

"The Telnet Server

In addition to the client above I have included a complete Telnet Server (Daemon). I had a hard time finding a good one for NT so I wrote this one. It is a SINGLE USER server, only one session at a time can be running. It is, however a nice example of how to use the NT CreateProcessAsUser facility.

It is an NT service. :"