Suggestion React OS flatpak LXC version

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mitcoes

Suggestion React OS flatpak LXC version

Post by mitcoes »

Thanks for your work

I am a GNU/Linux user and wine works,

But, I THINK, it will be better to have a LXC with a open source MS windows compatible system as React OS is.

LXC containers have the advantage that are faster than Virtual Machines and they use the bare metal hardware - great for gaming - and even more when you will have the 64 bit version.

Also they can be package in a FLATPAK so they can be installed VERY EASILY in any distribution.

Gaming is a great test, but where you will have donations is after it will be installed on LXC containers and managed by Kubernetes in all those enterprises that still have some MS WOS programs they need as Adobe or Autodesk ones, plus some special machines drivers only available for that system, giving the enterprises the freedom to run LXC containers with your OS instead of other much expensive solutions.

So if you make a flatpack LXC ReactOS package I think your OS will be more used, and donations will increase, and that is why i suggest it to you and because I would use it for gaming, and I did not found a clear HOW TO do it.

Thanks in advance for considering this suggestion even if you reject it.
karlexceed

Re: Suggestion React OS flatpak LXC version

Post by karlexceed »

The only difference I see between a FLATPAK distribution and a regular VM/container is that it provides "portals" to interact with the host desktop.

Now, I could see ROS (in theory) being able to work like this as if it were some version of "XP Mode" or like a Parallels desktop. BUT, it would have to be a tailor-made version of ROS specifically for this purpose and there simply isn't enough development resources to be able to tackle that. Not to mention, you'd have to actually include (and build!) the hypervisor in the FLATPAK as well, so this immediately falls outside the scope of the ROS dev team.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Hypervisor is already requested by Qubes team. Can same hypervisor not be used?
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
ThFabba
Developer

Post by ThFabba »

LXC is a Linux container toolset. It cannot virtualize operating system kernels, so ReactOS cannot run in LXC.