67 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Adcock

Re: My specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by Adcock »

Opps...
The best thing is customization not being limited because of unfound or unadded features.
I mean there is no technical limitation.
When ReactOS becomes ready I think we will see a stream of customization on Deviantart!
:D
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Those are all good reasons Adcock, if you feel that any are not already on the list ( page 1 ) then please feel free to suggest a new addition.

ReactOS will be a target for deep customisation - I am sure.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

Na. You got it all covered. :D
KaiserMCG

Post by KaiserMCG »

I want an OS that...

- Gives ME back control over what is installed/changed and when
- Stops dumbing down the entire UI to the point of being completely frustrating
- Doesn't include "feedback" options you can't fully disable
- Will properly run the core programs and applications I use (Chrome, Office, PC games via Steam etc)
- Will properly work in/support a client-server Domain. My personal Windows laptop is joined to my home Domain and it's very convenient from the point of view of desktop/profile redirection, useful GPOs, file sharing etc)

Hopefully ReactOS will eventually get to that point but I'd even consider Linux if I could find a direct Windows Server/Client (with AD and GPOs) replacement. I don't like Win10 or the whole SAAS model they're pushing.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Kaiser, I think your reasons match my own.

ReactOS will get there, you just have to give it time. There are users using it now, even though it is still in beta. I wouldn't recommend it but it is being done. They do have to lower their expectations though as one can encounter bugs with everything you do. Despite that, some things still work well.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Fraizeraust

Post by Fraizeraust »

KaiserMCG wrote:- Doesn't include "feedback" options you can't fully disable
Such like Telemetry of Windows 10 you mean? ReactOS doesn't have it nor it'll ever come in the future.
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
learn_more
Developer

Post by learn_more »

Fraizeraust wrote:
KaiserMCG wrote:- Doesn't include "feedback" options you can't fully disable
Such like Telemetry of Windows 10 you mean? ReactOS doesn't have it nor it'll ever come in the future.
oh really?
Fraizeraust

Post by Fraizeraust »

learn_more wrote:oh really?
Care to explain your sentence? "oh really" doesn't say anything at all.
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

No arguments nor quips please on this thread, more complete answers/responses required to avoid ambiguity and potential conflict.

Let us read the list on page 1 - and only contribute new reasons if we come across brand new ones. I think the list is really meant to determine what ReactOS will hopefully provide us in addition to those functions already provided by Windows, or perhaps to avoid some of the things already provided by Windows such as telemetry.

Core ReactOS will clearly not provide hidden telemetry feeds back to anyone... Perhaps some of the forks might and perhaps Microsoft will want to fork ReactOS to provide TelemetricOS. :D
learn_more
Developer

Post by learn_more »

Fraizeraust wrote:
learn_more wrote:oh really?
Care to explain your sentence? "oh really" doesn't say anything at all.
ReactOS will never have telemetry
?
That is a bold statement, care to elaborate?
Zombiedeth

Post by Zombiedeth »

- wouldn't hide important details about software or hardware failures.

a good example of this would be if the software registry hive is corrupted can't be loaded due to the hard drive being faulty and yet windows 10 says nothing about being unable to load it. :lol:
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Zombiedeth wrote:- wouldn't hide important details about software or hardware failures.

a good example of this would be if the software registry hive is corrupted can't be loaded due to the hard drive being faulty and yet windows 10 says nothing about being unable to load it. :lol:
I've asked for an option giving full and comprehensive startup information during the whole startup phase, possibly within some sort of terminal window that persists during run time. Somewhat akin to the event viewer but realtime and from the beginning of startup.

I'll reword this and add it to the list and see if it fits.
oceanmariner

Post by oceanmariner »

I'm a Microsoft hater and have been for a long time. The only MS product I have bought for about 20 years is the windows os when necessary. I've been looking for a windows replacement for a long time. It seems the largest amount of software is written for the PC. I have a Mac, Linux, and Win 7 computers. I had a surprise update to windows 10 on the Linux computer when it was windows 7. I ran 10 for a couple months, upgraded perfectly good software, etc. I went back to 7 and bought a new custom kaby lake/gigabyte with 10 already installed. I was able to install 7 with a day of fooling around. Updates work fine and got rid of the "uncompatible hardware" balloon.

All I want is a simple os that will allow me to run 3rd party PC software. I don't need anything else built in. No personal assistant, no media player, no browser, no office, no email, just the basic os. It would be great if I could run old software. XP would be ok, a little more like 7 would be better. I'm hoping ReactOS will do that. If it does, I'll donate the cost of windows 10. And I'll donate the MS equivalent for each time I upgrade. I don't care if ReactOS is free. I would be happy to pay for upgrades to a operating system without built in spyware, uncontrolled updates and false warnings of uncompatibility.
DrBali

Post by DrBali »

I'm a complete newbie here - joined today and haven't installed ReactOS - yet.
Interested to see VB6 as a good reason - am I to understand that this works OK on ReactOS.
If so that's almost a good enough reason on its own!
:D
wildschwein

Post by wildschwein »

Welcome DrBali !

a good idea to get a forum account. Look around the website perhaps you can join anywhere.

A lot of helpers are always needed: tester, translators, developer ... and fans !

TOGETHER we make the IMPOSSIBLE possible - sooner than someone thinks