new website layout contest

Suggestions and comments about the ReactOS website

Moderator: Moderator Team

DangerGround
Website Coordinator

new website layout contest

Post by DangerGround »

The task is to create a mockup for a new homepage and menu layout. We want a fresh layout, as the current one is starting to show its age.

* color scheme should be compatible with the ReactOS logo and the logo included into the design.
* it should contain a diagram for a simplified frontpage
* it should also integrate stylistically with the forum, wiki & bugzilla
* it should render consistently across IE7+, FF2+, Opera 9+, Safari 3+ and without javascript or other browser plugins, though javascript and DOM may be used for optional effects whose absence will not adversely degrade the usability of the site
* there is no guarantee that your proposal will not be modified if selected
* any submission must be of an original work by the submitter/submitters (you are free to use the ReactOS logo for the proposal)
* submitters grants the ReactOS Foundation a royalty-free license to use and/or modify their respective designs, though all submitters retain the rights to their work

The best submission will be selected by a jury of five (Aleksey Bragin, Colin Finck, Danny Götte, Ged Murphy and Ziliang Guo).

Please post a link to your draft (should be a ready html page; or a picture(jpg,png)) as answer to this thread. Latest date for accepted drafts is: August 20th, 2009 20:00 UTC. Our decision will be released earliest at August 31th, 2009.

Have fun and good luck.
[Update]
Deadline extended to August 20th, 20009.
[/Update]
[Update Nr=2]
Set decision release date to August 31th, 20009.
[/Update]

If you've questions regarding the contest rules, you're free to ask them here. But don't use this topic for general discussions.
Sand

Re: new website layout contest

Post by Sand »

I support the idea of new design.

And I suggest to return to somethink like the theme of the original ReactOS site.
pyrater

Post by pyrater »

what did it look like?
pyrater

Post by pyrater »

Sand

Post by Sand »

Yes. It would be great if we could use style and colors from this website.
pyrater

Post by pyrater »

coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

Very simple splash page:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?udm3yoy2zxh

Index.htm is in UNICODE, do NOT open it in ANSI!

One XHTML 1.0 Trans error. Can't figure out why the error is happening though, I'm pretty sure I closed the HEAD tag correctly.
kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper »

Yeah, I don't like that design... I'll try to come up with something.
care2debug

Post by care2debug »

Whoever will do the next site layout please make the big ROS logo to be a link to home!
It's a standard already...
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

care2debug wrote:Whoever will do the next site layout please make the big ROS logo to be a link to home!
It's a standard already...
The reason why I can't link it back to home is because I've set the reactOS logo a background and not an image. (Just like the current ReactOS design.) I could try linking the entire background by wrapping the DIV with an anchor, but I don't know if that will work with XHTML 1.0 Trans validation, as block level elements shouldn't be included within inline elements if you ask me.
kevintrooper wrote:Yeah, I don't like that design... I'll try to come up with something.
Which design?
DangerGround
Website Coordinator

Post by DangerGround »

You don't need really to care about a valid (x)html design, I'll investigate the time to make it valid when the final design is chosen.
gavins

Post by gavins »

This is just a quick image of a possible layout you might use. I haven't made any radical changes to the existing theme of the site but I have tried to minimise the amount of content on the homepage so that it does not appear cluttered and is easy to navigate. I figure the drop-down menus are the way that a lot of modern websites are using to reduce menu space on the page. It's not perfectly matched for the exising site colours and fonts (I did this quickly in mspaint so my options were quite limited!) but obviously this is only a draft idea and open to modification.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31801995@N ... 7/sizes/o/
Error: Keyboard not attached. Press F1 to continue.
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

Remember, you need to have alternative menus for javascript menus just in case people don't have Javascript turned on!
gavins

Post by gavins »

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not a professional website designer so if my ideas are a little unfeasible it's helpful to have feedback so I don't try to do things that are not achievable.

I've seen tutorials that create the drop-down menu effect using CSS. This could be used instead of Javascript leaving the site script free couldn't it?
Error: Keyboard not attached. Press F1 to continue.