new website layout contest

Suggestions and comments about the ReactOS website

Moderator: Moderator Team

gonzoMD

Re: new website layout contest

Post by gonzoMD »

boomhauer wrote:First comp by our lead GA- http://www.setiri.com/roscomp1.jpg. Let me know any feedback here. I'll be leaving shortly for the rest of the evening so will see any feedback tomorrow.

I like the color added by the smoke but suspect some may think it is too colorful, so based on feedback we may reduce colors on this portion (blue/grey smoke perhaps)

Also note that our company purchases licenses to use some of the images and icons etc, so please don't post edited versions of this comp without checking with me first. Thanks.
Yeah, this is my absolute favourite, you see and find everything, the links are well located, the important stuff at bottom, and the download link, the most important, at top. The colors I don't care about, but I love the structure
greenie

Post by greenie »

I actually think the sites theme is fine.
Though I do remember when I first came here there was various links that I found confusing. Though I can not remember any more. As I have gotten so use to it. Should do a usability study.

Get those computers that watch where u look on the screen. Get some poor guinea pigs to navigate the site.

or since I doubt we can do that simply get people that have not been here before. Give them quests like "find the forums" or" edit a post" is a good one. (By default it is hidden). Find the latest builds.
boomhauer

Post by boomhauer »

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. Anyone else have any comments, please add them as I'd like to hear community feedback so we can build some variations based on this.

Thanks,

Brady
andrewweb

Post by andrewweb »

BTW: The colours below may looks rather strange because the background of the image is transparent!
http://i27.tinypic.com/fk1y0y.png
[ external image ]

Source Files:
Inkscape SVG http://www.mediafire.com/file/tr2jewdqy ... Design.svg
Inkscape SVG with media http://www.mediafire.com/file/zrnymyjmy ... Design.zip
The primary goals of my design were:
:arrow: Minimize clutter (only one set of links)
:arrow: Make more friendly to an international audience (the flags at the top for language)
:arrow: Maximize visual impact (large screenshot dominates the page)
:arrow: Improve screenshots feature

Notes:
The news bit looks odd because I litterally cut it out of a screenshot (simply because Inkscape is terrible at handling text)
Unfortunately, Inkscape is also bad at handling images, so I had to overlay a semi-transparent square over the news image
The Logo lacks any text on it because I used the SVN version, I personally prefer it without the name on it, but thats just my opinion. If this wins, you can put the ReactOS lettering on it!
Inkscape has issues with fonts so I was restricted to one unfortunately. Again, if this wins, these fonts may not be the ones used.
If made, the items on the sidebar would reveal submenus underneath them when hovered over. This would be easy to implement in javascript, and the users without it would still see it if done properly (The submenus would be visible by default, the script would hide them).
Also, the screenshot rotation also would also work without javascript, the overlaid buttons would have php-based functions which would be replaced by javascript functions when available.

Thanks.
Last edited by andrewweb on Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:32 am, edited 6 times in total.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Ok..i'll think about improvements,for the new designs :)
Last edited by vicmarcal on Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrewweb

Post by andrewweb »

vicmarcal wrote:Hi andrewweb, i cant see your design: "403 Error code: You're seeing this page because account contains no index file. (EG: index.htm)"

:(
Fixed. Vicmarcal, please delete your post (quoted above) so it doesn't clutter the thread, once you have deleted it, i'll delete this. :D
Last edited by andrewweb on Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
andrewweb

Post by andrewweb »

care2debug wrote:I've tried to make our logo a little bit more modern for the site:

[ external image ]

Please tell me your ideas how to improve it.
Sorry care2debug, but that logo is not "modern" its "amateur unprofessional techno styled".
RDill

Post by RDill »

First comp by our lead GA- http://www.setiri.com/roscomp1.jpg. Let me know any feedback here. I'll be leaving shortly for the rest of the evening so will see any feedback tomorrow.

I like the color added by the smoke but suspect some may think it is too colorful, so based on feedback we may reduce colors on this portion (blue/grey smoke perhaps)
I'm liking this one the best - part of the reason is the colour (as I said in a previous post). This one is 'busy' but I guess that's to be expected when you are promoting an operating system.
This one looks modern and exciting (but won't be dated soon) and we can use that, as (although I'm new) this is an exciting project.
I also like the Big and easy to see download button - that's one thing I remember from the present site - it took me a while to find where to download it.
I also like the compatibility close to the download - with these two bits of information I think we'll hook a lot more people into trying ReactOS.

Great work

Robert
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Yes, i like this one too: http://www.setiri.com/roscomp1.jpg
But for improving i would propose some things:

1)The smoke. I think it doesnt fit.It´s not just a matter of colours.It seems to be forced to be there, it doesnt get integrated maybe because is just "Here in this square" or maybe because our Logo isnt friendly with the smoke...maybe the colour of the smoke isnt following the colour of the site.

2)The Download button. It has the perfect size, the perfect place, also using the green for the letters to catch the attention..but...what about changing a little bit the background colour of the button?Actually the background color is the same gray that the page has. Changing the colour will catch more the attention.

3)The "Contact us.." letters maybe can have a different color(dark blue?), it seems to dissapear between the others Menu items, and it is a priority to catch the attention for Public and Relations stuff.

4)Adding a small place under all the page with again a contact and some credit to the designer,as the actual. People/Proyects/Events who searchs for contacting usually scrolls down because they find the info in that part of the website.

5)The Screenshots area is a nice idea,but I would split in 2, left one "Screenshots",right one "Videos". We have important Videos: "Download our Source", "Install in Vbox","Install in Vmware","Compile our sources"..which are so handy.

But in general i think it is quite nice :)
zehdeh

Post by zehdeh »

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/6870/reactos3.png

Round 3: I've tried to lighten my prior submissions.
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

zehdeh wrote:http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/6870/reactos3.png
Round 3: I've tried to lighten my prior submissions.
nice too, but my favourite is still the one of boomhauer.
zehdeh

Post by zehdeh »

This should be my final submission (No. 4).
numpy

Post by numpy »

numpy

Post by numpy »

numpy

Post by numpy »