Website revamped - Oops!

Suggestions and comments about the ReactOS website

Moderator: Moderator Team

middings

Website revamped - Oops!

Post by middings »

I don't understand the link on this page (and others) marked "BACK TO WEBSITE". I am already on a web site! :lol:

In my (US English language) experience, links to a site's home page are marked "Home page", "Home", "Main page", or "Main".
middings

Re: Website revamped - Oops!

Post by middings »

The ReactOS home page has topic text headings and icons (listed under "Our Features") that on modern web pages would be links to pages about those topics. However, they do not function as links. Examples:
  • Lightweight
  • From Scratch
  • +9,000,000 lines of code
  • +100 devs
  • Styles
  • Tons of Open Modules
  • Ready to Install...
  • ...or to Try.
I appreciate that these topic text headings are links:
  • Gallery
  • Daily Builds
  • Report a Bug!
Unfortunately, the link marked "Report a Bug!" is itself a bug. :(
middings

Post by middings »

The revamped https://reactos.org/getbuilds/ page is difficult for me to use. I have not been able to figure out how to download the latest trunk build.

On the ReactOS home page the link marked "Daily Builds" opens a drop-down menu with a small amount of explanatory text and one button. This button is labeled "Download here!" However clicking the button does not go to a page titled "Daily Builds" or even "Download here!" Instead it goes to a page titled "Download ReactOS Trunk Builds" with a URL named https://reactos.org/getbuilds/. Having multiple names for the same thing confuses users. Users for whom English is a second language will be doubly confused. Please avoid using multiple names for the same web page.

If the Download ReactOS Trunk Builds page is open for many minutes then an alert box appears with this message:

Code: Select all

AJAX Request problem!

Error Code: 504
Error Text: Gateway Time-out
URL: ajax-getfiles.php

[ ] Allow dialogs from ReactOS.org to take you to their tab
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

middings wrote:The revamped https://reactos.org/getbuilds/ page is difficult for me to use. I have not been able to figure out how to download the latest trunk build.
Just place a revision range, click on the desired items you want to search (bootcd, livecd, etc) and click in show.
Then just click on the link you desire.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

I am struggling to understand how exactly the getbuilds page is difficult to use. It tells you outright what the latest revision is, it defaults to the latest revision, and it has a collection of links to built images, all by default. What is the difficulty?
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

It seems like exactly the same old, but reskinned. I also had some AJAX timeout troubles on the first day, but when I tried it now, it worked as expected.
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

This Ajax stuff was already there before the revamp
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Black_Fox wrote:exactly the same old, but reskinned
middings

Post by middings »

middings wrote:The revamped https://reactos.org/getbuilds/ page is difficult for me to use. I have not been able to figure out how to download the latest trunk build.
Z98 wrote:I am struggling to understand how exactly the getbuilds page is difficult to use. It tells you outright what the latest revision is, it defaults to the latest revision, and it has a collection of links to built images, all by default. What is the difficulty?
When I first tried to use the page the links weren't there. The "Getting file list" message never went away.

But, good news! When I visited the page yesterday (Thursday, February 12) the getbuilds page did provide each available trunk build with a link. The "Getting file list" message appears briefly then goes away. Now I can download trunk builds. Thanks to whoever made the magic fix.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

I see one issue that is not so much visible for the regular website visitor - the news articles/blogs don't show year in which they were published. Guess from which year e.g. this article is!
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi good point it is a bit annoying not knowing when the article was written
middings

Post by middings »

hbelusca created JIRA issue ONLINE-568, "News/blog entries do not show their year of publication".
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Oh, that's pretty cool, thanks Hermes!