Freeware Windows based on Microsoft Hyper-V Server

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lotusisrael

Re: Freeware Windows based on Microsoft Hyper-V Server

Post by Lotusisrael »

I do not own a Win7/8/8.1/10 license, only Windows Server licenses from Imagine (Dreamspark). There are many people who got a freeware Windows like this, being students. But even if I could get a free standard Windows license, I shall not take it. I do not like standard Windows versions. My idea is to keep Windows free for those who could have it free for now (students), but also for everybody else (Microsoft Hyper-V Server with third party desktop on it).
Lotusisrael

Post by Lotusisrael »

Sorry for taking this old topic again, but they are some news. It seems Microsoft dropped the GUI version of Windows Server, WS being from now on only Server Core and Nano Server. This is really bad for people using WS as a Workstation OS. I have found via Google that some replaced the Windows shell in Windows 8 or Windows 10 with the ReactOS shell, using good old copy paste, as a base method. So, I guess, there is little work to do to bring the shell and the audio from ReactOS to Windows Server Core.
Fraizeraust

Post by Fraizeraust »

Lotusisrael wrote:I have found via Google that some replaced the Windows shell in Windows 8 or Windows 10 with the ReactOS shell, using good old copy paste, as a base method. So, I guess, there is little work to do to bring the shell and the audio from ReactOS to Windows Server Core.
Interesting... Mind you giving us the source link of this?
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page